Mitigation Efforts Due to Lapse in Fiscal Year 2019 Appropriations and Partial Government Shutdown
The National Maritime Center issued an update titled “Mitigation Efforts Due to Lapse in Fiscal Year 2019 Appropriations and Partial Government Shutdown.”
To mitigate the impact caused by the partial lapse in appropriations and shutdown of National Maritime Center (NMC) operations, the following updated actions are being taken:
- Merchant Mariner Credentials (MMC) (National Endorsements only) and Medical Certificates that expire in December 2018, January 2019, or February 2019 are extended as valid until April 30, 2019. Print the attached letter and carry it with your credential.
- Additional Information (AI) letters, sent to mariners that expire in December 2018, January 2019, or February 2019 are extended to April 30, 2019.
- Approval to Test (ATT) letters and mariner training course certificates that expire in the months of December 2018, January 2019, or February 2019 are extended until April 30, 2019.
- For mariners whose 90-day testing cycles were interrupted by Regional Exam Center (REC) closures (starting on December 26, 2018), the days the RECs were closed will not count against the 90-day period. REC appointment calendars will be re-opened immediately once appropriations are restored.
- The NMC understands the partial shutdown may affect our industry customers and stakeholders and we apologize for any potential inconvenience.
If you have questions, visit the NMC website, or contact the NMC Customer Service Center by using the NMC online chat system, by e-mailing IASKNMC@uscg.mil, or by calling 1-888-IASKNMC (427-5662).
K. R. Martin
Kirsten R. Martin Captain, U.S. Coast Guard Commanding Officer
Do You Have Company News or a Project You’d Like to Highlight in UNDERWATER?
If your company has news or a project you’d like to see spotlighted in UNDERWATER, please reach out directly to Steve Guglielmo at firstname.lastname@example.org.